Thursday, October 7, 2010

Arrival in Beijing - Hostel & Accomodation


So, here's the beginning of a journey to enrich my soul.

Arriving at the Beijing airport, I gave the internet print out for my hostel to the taxi driver but he said he didn't know where it was. After loading and unloading a taxi 3 times eventually the yellow jacket staff waved at me to go to him and yes thank god he was helpful and spoke to a taxi driver to take me to where I needed to go.

Peking Uni International Hostel in Haidian WuDaoKuo is a great place to start the Beijing journey, with friendly staff and a socially atmosphere all round. The dorms were great with lockers to fit each person’s belongings. Price at 63rmb a night was acceptable but I know of cheaper places. However it's close to BLCU in order for me to base myself to find a better longer term place. Met a very nice Chinese Art student named Chow Ji Han who draws amazingly. We will meet again to draw my portrait, how nice hey J

And since the first two days. What do I think of Beijing so far?

Well, so far I have met some great people and new friends... Handsome foreign boys and pretty girls from all over the world... the odd character here and there, including myself as well as some local Chinese people.

I have found that the local Beijinger's are very helpful and friendly people. They have the time for you if you ask the way or for some help in a matter... but just NOT at (BLCU) Beijing Language and Culture University or The Foreign Student Activity Centre Reception. As long as you don't have any expectations from the staff at these two places, as service do not exist... then you'll be fine.

The next venture was locating a room at BLCU, with one week before registration I thought there must be a room on campus available. But hey ho, big time warning for anyone who may consider living on campus who is a short term student starting after 1st September. Take along a tough Mandarin speaking friend, otherwise have a plan B. The staff is unhelpful and rude, still not quite sure if that's the whole China attitude or just BLCU staff in general. All they said was “no rooms available” and then turned away to do other things.

So arriving in a foreign land not speaking the language, topped with unhelpful staff at the place you meant to study. I was speechless and damn worried, since then I have spoken to other students who had the same experience. One girl was luckier and happen to know someone living in dorm 17 and knew a room was empty next to them. So she got the room by taking a forceful Mandarin speaking friend. BTW the dorm rooms are small and there's a time limit on visitors, it's like a hospital with visiting hours of - Apart from dorm 17 which is the newest as well.

I have come to realise BLCU is an overpriced foreign student university for short term study, with extremely unhelpful staff. So I would suggest for anyone wanting to study Mandarin less than 6 months to go private tutoring. Or just come to the area and meet some students who'll point you the right direction to learn outside and find tutors easily. Then maybe do a course at BLCU later just for the sake of the certificate. I had to pay the whole 12 weeks in one go before starting the course and there's a no refund policy, so think carefully and do the research before joining BLCU. I have cut the story short with the BLCU experience so far, so if you want to know the in and outs of a real life student experience in BLCU then you are welcome to ask me.

I found a room at The Foreign Student Activity Centre and the rooms are spacious with the freedom like a hotel. Many BLCU and other University students stay here from around the world. BLCU is such a waste of time compared to here and I really ask how did BLCU get the so called good reputation? Unless BLCU has gone downhill since or they pay people for advertising as they are the most expensive in Beijing.
Class starts again tomorrow at , so watch this space for the news about booking a group trip and the BLCU on campus agents… Have fun and be cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment