Sunday, October 10, 2010

Partying in Beijing - Sanlitun - Salsa Caribe

Saturday is one of those party days, where I would generally chill out during the day and prepare for a party night... Well bloody BLCU Beijing Language & Culture university manages to have a class from to on a Saturday....
Of course I didn't go! I don't care if I paid over the roof for it to start with... but no way are they getting me into class on a Saturday morning! There's something called a life to live. However, from this rebellious behaviour, I find out 2 hours of study a day (especially in a Chinese style taught class) is about right for me. Felt on top of the world arriving at for class... it also seemed to suit most of my class members as well, with only 4 people turning up to class at (there's always the random enthusiasts).

My A+ class mates you may want to know about are cool. We have 21 people on a good day but generally only 18 or so are present. The people? Well international; Koreans, Japanese, Italians, Spanish, Philippine, USA and UK. Some how I have made good friend with a sweet Philippine girl 'Eden' and a Spanish guy 'Oskar', a nice and caring guy.  We checked out the Summer Palace together... (Highly recommended place to visit over parks like BeHai Park which is smaller and too many tourists) check out the photos... which should be on blog once I figure out how to put them on.

Tonight the group (Kevin Mr Awesome – who’s makes an awesome Indian ascent… gave me stitches of laughter in the cab to Sanlitun, Vig another Malaysian but he’s from my hotel and not BLCU – yes I am surrounded by Malaysians atm, Vig is actually brought up in London so he’s not a true a Malay at heart, Daniel from Australia was more cool and hung out more until he got together with Anne-Sophie who’s half French and Cambodian. Both good friends and always up for a big hug but don’t see them much now since the falling in love part happened, Klale-a from Greece with a model height and figure – damn girl I’m jealous ;-) then there’s also the usual suspects Eden, Oskar, the Malaysians Suzen, Julie.

So, the night life in Sanlitun?
The happening place for an economical night or an expensive night...with the street bars and plenty of clubs to choose from. We ventured to 'Salsa Caribe' with 30rmb entry fee (personally I think not worth it unless you like Latin music too much) Drinks around 25rmb to 50rmb. Definitely the most expensive place I’ve been to so far in Beijing for a night out. If you want cheaper drinks then start off with the pub opposite for 100rmb goldfish bowl size Mojito’s, this will last and last for a group. The band in SC was too loud, they liked to string that electric guitar or what and sing lady GaGa songs (badly). This place is definitely not the England style salsa scene where people dance with each other politely. The partners or groups stick to themselves only and half the people can't salsa in there :-(  

There was an African guy who just would not leave me alone all night and insisted on doing it to me and having my number. No and Urgh! Was surely my reaction… opinion of the place went down hill. Slightly disappointed with the scene but the Latin music was nice to my ears. The original first group left, so as I gestured to leave at 2:30am another group of people I knew from the hotel arrived (Richard from UK – I like him, he’s a good dancer and he knows how to have a fun! So the night danced on RnB, Latino, Africano style – I started to feel tired, then by this time I have danced 5 hours! Wow! Let’s do it again somewhere else!

But please also let me mention, not to be put off SC - I did come here last week too with No entry fee, we were with a group of friends (Mexican Carlos, African Madalitso and others) who knew how to salsa so it was much more fun. The night was better without a band as well. So, I am yet to find another Latin club where most people can dance salsa! If you know one or two in Beijing, then let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment