Wednesday, February 9, 2011

The Forbidden City Memories

This was the first place I visited before starting class at BLCU. Why has it taken me so long to write about it? I don't know, maybe because my dream came true at last. A dream since I was 16 years old, to see the palace and to imagine how it would have been like to live in there in the dynasties.

The Forbidden City lies in the centre of the city, gradually being surrounded by the modern buildings. It is still nice to see the old streets called Hutongs by the palace although they have mostly been demolished to build more modern developments.

The Palace is massive so if you wish to see the lot and understand the recorded stereo tour, allow at least 3 hours. It's magnificant history just blows me away.
The movie 'Last Emperor' of the Ting dynasty depicts the city perfectly.

Climb the highest point and you can overlook the forbidden city and the backdrop of the modern city.

The Three Muskerteers!


Cutes dogs and a friendly owner! I couldn't resist!

I do wonder why the doors were so tall. My conclusion is not that the people were tall but the soldiers held tall long flags when leaving for battle or returning on their horses.

No comments:

Post a Comment