Saturday, January 8, 2011

DIY Cooking my own meals in Beijing

After a month or so of eating out, I started to want to eat my own Cantonese cooking, simple, non oily healthy options (varieties of stir fry and rice). So I started to buy groceries from the local
Chinese street
market, which as amazingly cheap. 40rmb lasts me a week in vegetables and fruit. If you’re on a budget 250rmb per month would cover a meat eater’s diet.

Without a proper kitchen in the hotel proofed to be much harder than I thought, taking the electric cooker, wok and everything else you can imagine that should be in a kitchen back and forth upstairs for each meal. In the winter month of late December when the weather was too cold, I even cooked noodles in my room and I hated the feeling and smell lingering in the room. This was so Chinese but hey I became a local for a while.

The dishes that I made were impressive and I shared them with my friends who enjoyed some home cooked wholesome food. If I came back to Beijing I would definitely rent an apartment with a kitchen, so I can show off my culinary skills and invite friends to join in.

No comments:

Post a Comment